This piece is not as if the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC is handicapped or do not know what to do to reduce or tackle road accidents on our roads but the need for Nigerians to take responsibility.
By taking responsibility or precaution will go a long way to help reduce unnecessary mishaps. Investigations have shown that most of the accidents on our roads are caused by human factors.
Remember, the FRSC and other security agencies cannot be everywhere to take care of the activities on the road hence the need, as responsibility and patriotic citizens, we need to join hands with them to have a decent and accident-free roads across the country.
If we take responsibility, there might be few or no accidents on our roads again. Below are some of the responsibility when taken will help to minimize accidents on our roads.
1. Before starting your vehicle, ensure that the engine oil, water, hydraulic (brake) oil are intact so that your vehicle don’t stop and cause obstruction on the road.
2. Also check your tyres, they are very important. Ensure that they are not less and in good condition, if they are not, kindly change them otherwise you might endanger your life and that of other road users. Also ensure that your horn is working.
3. As soon as you enter your vehicle, kindly put on your seat belt and if you are driving a heavy duty vehicle, ensure that the vehicle is properly warm before you engage your gear.
4. Also ensure that your side mirrors are well set in such a way that you can easily see very clear beside and behind you without you stretching your neck. Don’t be in a hurry to leave, it is better to be late than be late (dead).
5. Always make use of your trafficators when driving. It is the one of the ways to tell other road users where you are going without talking and the need to be cautious of their driving.
6. Don’t drive what it is called in the local parlance “bumper to bumper’, it is very risky, that is one of the easiest ways to be involved in an accident.
7. Remember, speed limit especially for car owners who don’t have such devices installed in their cars. You don’t have to over-speed to get to where you are going or rushing to, it is very risky and we love you, your family needs you to be alive. The road is not a race track, please drive safely and gently.
8. Wrong overtaking is also risky and if you must overtake, then you must trafficate to alert the vehicles behind and beside you. If possible, press your horn for those who are distracted when driving.
9. Never use your phones while driving, you might just risk your life and that of others. If you must make that call, kindly park. Most of the accidents recorded of late are caused by those who are either making phone calls or chatting while driving.
10. Please if you are not in the right frame of mind, that is, if you are not mentally or physically fit or not just happy and being disturbed by situation around you, kindly park and leave your vehicle behind. It is better to be alive than to take risk and cause accident on the road.
11. Don’t carry inflammable items in your vehicle or boot to avoid explosion on the road.
12. Always ensure you have your spare tyre in place in case of emergency. You must also have your caution signs, wheel spanner and others that can easily help you change your tyre when it is flat.
13. There are other items that you think are not necessary but will always be of great help on the road. They are razor blade, plier, screw driver, spanners. No forgetting fire extinguisher, it might not be useful to you but it can help save your neighbour’s car.
14. Driving on the speed lane (lane by the left) is wrong, it is only meant for overtaking except there is go-slow or hold up. If your vehicle is not moving at the specified speed limit, then you have to move to the right lane and if there is need for you to overtake, you go to the left and after overtaking, you return to the right lane. By so doing, the traffic or road will be free for other road users to pass.
15. Lastly, always be considerate when driving. Always park well when there is need to do so. You don’t have to park on the road to cause obstruction. Be friendly with other road users, you never can tell who will be of help to each other.
If the above and others are put into consideration, road accidents will be reduced or be a thing of the past.